Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Professors, Snakes and The Church of Later Day Saints

Day 12, July 12, Eureka to 30 miles before Ely, 48 miles, 3200 feet ascent

A fairly uneventful ride. Hot, but beautiful scenery. Astrid came to meet me for one last weekend, since after this, driving would be too far, and of course the point was for me to be alone. Still enjoyed her support and company very much. She picked me up 30 miles outside of Ely and dropped me off again at the same spot after. I bought a new (bigger) bicycle saddle in town, and have been congratulated by my rear end every morning since. People here love big pick-up trucks. They really do, and guns. Have not seen a recreational bicyclist since I left.


Day 13, July 13

Day of rest Spent a comfortable day in Ely.


Day 14, July 14, 30 miles before Ely to 30 miles after Ely, 60 miles, 4200 ascent

Shortly after starting, I caught up with a professor of economics from UC Berkely, who is 68 years old and is on his way (and still is) to of course where else.....Chicago. Yes he was on a bicycle. Maybe 5'5 with legs that would make Arnold proud. The poor guy endured 3 hours of questions about the world and economic issues and was treated to some of Dietmar's theories. What was I supposed to do? He is friends with Micheal Pollan and Robert Reich. I want to be his friend so bad. He stayed behind in Ely as I continued.
He asked for my E-mail address, but did not offer his. I was crushed.
My trip was cut short by rain. This time I looked around and build my shelter before it started.
Yes that means I slept in the desert.


Day 15, July 15, Outside of Baker to 27 miles past Baker, 72 miles 3500 feet ascent

Ok, this one you have to read.
I got started by climbing a mountain. I am almost on top and it starts to rain. I seek shelter under a few trees. Within 10 minutes a certain professor comes up the mountain. By starting at 6:30 in the morning, he caught up with me. We agreed to ride together until Baker when our routes diverged. I was easier on him this time. The rain let up and on we went. I got rained on twice more that day, but not too heavy.
I miss the professor. By the way, his next day was 91 miles with lots of climbing. I wish him well.
I enter Utah!
Here comes the fun part. So I have been wondering, why I have not seen any snakes. I had noticed 3 fresh road kills that day and thought hmmm interesting. This being a hot day, I decided to rest one more time before making camp in the desert. Which means I am sitting on the ground for a few minutes. Always scanning the ground for "unfriendlies" (I made up that word). After I get back on the bike and ride 5 feet, I am startled, in fact almost fell of my bike, by a hiss and a rattle, 18 inches from my right foot. Yes it was. Only 15" long and already in retreat. I stopped but could not find her anymore. On we go for about 10 feet when I notice daddy, a fully grown Big Basin Rattler, laying parallel to the street again 18" from my foot. Now daddy did not move until I got off to take pictures. He was not pleased with my decision. I stayed three striking distances away.
Now remember I sat 15 feet from these guys....I am still thinking about that.
Alright, enough excitement for the day. I created a distance of about 5 miles between me and my new friends. How fast do snakes travel? I though about that...really. I stopped on a bald swath of earth as to give nobody a chance to hide. I build a safe house (formally known as tent) with one eye to the ground, the whole time. I ate my dinner the same way and rushed in. Safe at last.
It is now dark, and my eyes, which is typical for me when I try to sleep, are closed. All of a sudden I see a flash of light. I open my eyes, look outside, keeping my head above striking height of snakes, nothing.
This repeats itself a dozen times and I am a little freaked out by now. I have to add, there are clear skies above me. I finally calm my mind, which tried to tell me the Mormons have found out a non believer has entered their state and are coming with pitch forks and yes FLASHLIGHTS.
It is now 11:00 PM and I am tired. You have to understand, that the nearest settlement (200 people) is 27 miles away. I am in nowhere. Back to me almost sleeping. I close my eyes and hear freaking foot steps. Very loud, right next to my tent. We are talking 10 feet maybe. OK, I am now really freaked out. I am in my tent, which means I can not see out. Next thing I did, was to take my knife out. I WILL GO DOWN FIGHTING! The steps are all around me. Thank heavens, in the end, one of the wild horses that came to graze on the grass that lines the road makes the sound only horses make.
I carefully unzipped my tent and looked out.
I see their shadows all around me. At that same time the light finally gave up it's secret. There was a thunderstorm on Mount Wheeler, Nevada's highest mountain 60 miles away.
I went from freak to awe in one second. The horses stayed for an hour.
It is a night, I will not forget.

Day 16, July 16, 27 miles past Baker to Milford, 55 miles, 3400 feet ascent

I am almost to the top of my last of three passes, when rain catches me again, really good. I am soaked and cold. I finally shelter under a big tree and wait it out. Half an hour later I change into my only other dry shirt, since the rest of the ride is a 1200 foot descent and it would be very cold when wet. I ride 10 minutes and it rains again, a lot. So wet I rode. One beautiful thing  happened. As I came flying down the mountain, chased by my trailer, three desert foxes tried to cross the road. I rode right into the middle of them. One went right, two went left. I stopped and watched them look for each other. They where gorgeous.
I came into Milford, wet and exhausted, in part from not sleeping much the night before, and found a nice hotel with hot tub. Life is good. My odometer stopped working from the rain.
I just corrected this blog....and some of my spelling mistakes, OK, this is not my talent. My odometer started working again and all data, except yesterdays is there. I corrected the mileage and ascents. It is a good reminder how inaccurate our memories are. I had underestimated one ascent bu 2000 feet. I guess part of is my strong need to not oversell what I do.
I will try to add pictures soon. Did not work when I tried it at home. Definitely not my talent.
Of to Cedar City Utah.

Dietmar's Index:

Road kills seen since I left in descending order of quantity:

Rabbits (remember the saying: Why did the rabbit cross the road?)
Snakes
Birds (really)

UC professors on bicycles per 1000 miles so far
0.69


Lessons learned:

Mormons do not own flashlights
Desert foxes are incredibly graceful runners
There are wild horses in Utah/Nevada

  
Total distance so far: 692
Total ascent so far: 39,600

2 comments:

  1. Dietmar - I'm getting daily reports from Astrid and I have two recommendations:
    1. bike shop: raise handlebars on stem one "circle".
    2. yourself: rotate bars in stem up about 3 degrees - so that when you're holding brakes you're elevated a bit.
    Your trapezius muscles have never before had to support your head in such a position for full days. Raising bars on stem and brakes just a tiny bit will help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had them angle the handlebar up some. It was already at maximum height. I has helped.
    It takes longer for the pain to show up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete