Saturday, July 13, 2013

Airplanes and Frostnip

Day 9, Fallon to Middle Station, 55 miles, 1300 feet accent

Hot and dry. Met several people crossing the country the other direction. Jonah, on foot from Vermont I think, who sang me a song, which earned him a hug. Lucky man, did not ask me to sing. Beautiful young man. Three other cyclist followed, Mercedes a smart future Chemist and others, all 30 years younger. They warned me of rattle snakes near Eureka, two of which paid their respects late in the evening in their campsite. I slept in the desert that night and promptly dreamed of a snake in my tent.....thanks guys. Found a good place to camp off the road.

Day 10, Middle Station to Austin, 60 miles, 4100 feet accent

Rode an alternative route on beautiful Highway 722. I stopped and listened to birds in a deep creek bed as a Navy Jet flew a few hundred feet above and greeted me by dipping his (her) wings.....very cool indeed. Made it to Austin after a grueling climb into the city. I suggested for the town to be moved to lower ground, they thought I was kidding.
Slept in a Motel. Town population: 196

Day 11, Austin to Eureka, 70 miles 3300 feet accent

My longest ride so far. Beautiful scenery. Nevada has more agriculture than I knew.
Much of the day was cloudy, which I enjoyed after so much heat. I saw thunderstorms all around me. Unfortunately at about 5PM with 30 miles to go they converged onto the valley I was in. I did not see it coming since my rear view eyes were shut. The temperature dropped from 75 to 55 and the biggest raindrops I have ever seen started falling. I had to make a difficult decision. Make an already wet camp or try to ride through the storm.
I was worried about lightening too, since I was the tallest object. Since I was already wet and spending the night would have been miserable, I decided to give it all I got , and some, and run. The wind was blowing in my direction so I rode 20-26 miles per hour for 30 mile in light to very heavy rain. After 20 miles my hands were tingling. I thought it was nerves from tightening my shoulders. When I made it into the hotel, there was a puddle where I stood in the lobby. I told the receptionist, that I wanted a room, some hot chocolate and my mommy. She replied: I have a room, the hot chocolate is behind you (it was) and I am sorry about your mom not being here. Once in the room I started shaking. Hot shower I thought. I realized, that I could not feel my fingers and my hands felt like they were hooked up to a battery. My fingertips had turned white. I had the first stage of frostbite called frost nip. Maybe I am stubborn.
All this in Nevada in July.



Total distance so far: 505 miles
Total ascent so far: 28,500 feet



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you've documented the winds of Nevada for the world to know...they were horrible!

    ReplyDelete